Sunday 16 April 2017

I year of choosing threads

How you choose your threads?

We had this discussion at Studio11 recently. Several of us are following, and stitching for, the 2017 project and so had a brief discussion at our lunchtime gathering about choosing threads to stitch with.

You can see from some of the beautiful posts in the Facebook group that a huge variety of threads are being used as designs evolve. That suggests, and we also found in our discussson, that some of us are planning carefully, some following a pattern perhaps, with colours laid out at the start, some are plucking randomly from a bag of thread, pre selected for colour, or not preselected at all, allowing chance to choose and going with that. 

I have a plan, which allows for seasonal colour change within a foundation of static shades. As these shades also change with the moon's lightness or darkness, I have to have some kind of order or I'd lose the plot completely


Here is my palette in its current incarnation. I've got to Spring green with my seasonal colours; Winter was blue - only two cycles so far of blue - I'm saving the final winter blue until November; Summer will be warm red and gold; Autumn will be rust and cool purple.


Here are my little symbols for the new moon and first quater ; the pinholes are my record of using that colour, the numbers are the number of days after the new moon. This is from some days ago - I;ve not reached the first quarter here, and full moon is now past.

I still don't know how I'm going to fit all these in! I suspect I'll find myself filling in the spaces with ever denser stitching - I want to do this all on one hoop .....

....... and then I took a break for over a week, being stricken with toothache, but I'm catching up slowly now, back on the light side but still eight days adrift


Filling in with more Spring green, 



2 comments:

  1. So lovely to see it all close up, Kat !!!

    (ha, would even be better if I could touch it ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. touch is very important isn't it - I can't resist touching plants and flowers if I'm going round a garden - you can touch things there, unlike many textile exhibitions where touching is prohibited, and yet, you want to so very much!!

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)