Thursday 17 March 2022

sussex'ing

We have a new Sussex Stitchers project which is very loosely based around Dijanne Cevaal's Travellers' Blankets, One of our members shared a post from Inspirations magazine about these back in September last year. It rang a chord with some of us so when we (i.e. The Committee) asked for ideas about a new project and were met with the usual doubtful silence, this was suggested as a starting point. Dijanne's works are about travelling and each scrap of cloth reflects whatever the theme is of that particular blanket. She is currently offering on an online class if you want to find out more - from the link above.

We are interpreting her idea in relation to living in Sussex and have had to adapt quite a bit to enable it to be worked as a joint project. Yours truly therefore volunteered to hand dye some calico a vibrant blue, to reflect the seaside that we live by. This was fun in itself, as I overdyed the fabric four times with differing combinations of blue (Royal, Turquoise and Indigo) to get an interesting lively background. Members are going to stitch an image, on a separate piece of fabric, that means something to them, drawn from the Sussex landscape, thus reflecting the travelling theme. They will have their own square of blue to applique their embroidered image to, and each image will be stitched round in the same manner as Dijanne's. All the squares will then be reassembled to make one banner at the top of which we will add a header proclaiming our group's name. This can be used to advertise our existence if we travel around exhibiting our work. It will also embody the togetherness and inspiration which comes from being part of a lively stitching group in Sussex.

So, having dyed the two meters of calico and cut them up (very scary) I have just completed my own little square of blue. The background to the embroidery comes from my very first course with Christine in Studio 11, the tie dye mini quilt, one of the moons and a little bit of clamped shibori. 

Silhouetted by a silvery moon, the Royal Sovereign Lighthouse shines her light out to warn passing ships about the dangerous sandbank below. 

My stitching around the image doesn't have the vibrant brightness of Dijanne's, but it does evoke that warning light and the deeps of the sea below. I chose the lighthouse for two reasons. Firstly, when darling daughter was a small person we lived in a flat on St Leonards seafront. Walks to and from Hastings were always full of interesting things to look at, but this landmark was the one I used to reassure myself that she hadn't inherited either my or her father's short sightedness. 

"Jen .... can you see that on the horizon?", "yes Mummy I can see it!". Sigh of relief from me. 

But now Royal Sovereign has served her purpose and is to be decommissioned, as she has reached the end of her usefulness. I like the idea that, even in a very small way, this Sussex landmark will live on once the actual lighthouse has disappeared from our horizon, a small memorial to her years of keeping ships and sailors safe from harm.



4 comments:

  1. I love your lighthouse - that is really effective, simply stitchery, that seems to grow out of the background and yet contrasts with it beautifully. If all the others are as good, that banner is going to be a cracker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for such a lovely comment. We have our stitch group meeting this afternoon so will be interested to see what other ideas come up and whether anyone else has completed their stitching. As "dyer of the blue fabric" I have advance ability to put my stitching on the background fabric, so am hoping that helps others to visualise their own little square.
      I hope you are feeling less discouraged about the Amarna family? I must admit when I saw your post my first reaction was to wonder whether that lovely blue velvet was rather overwhelming the blue on the goldwork itself. Have you considered a different colour? Perhaps something more like the fabric you are using behind the lovely little cat?

      Delete
    2. My mother has made a suggestion, and I'm still mulling over how to make it work. I've been fighting off a cold for the last ten days, which will also have made me vulnerable to being deeply disheartened, rather than simply aware I needed to rethink. Give me a week or so more and there should be news!

      Delete
    3. Mothers are handy folk aren't they? Hope the suggestion helps once you've recovered your equilibrium :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)