Wednesday 15 June 2022

Flowers and bluebird

I have finished one of my Uzbek embroideries. It has, as you can see, become a bit bubbly. In fact, when allowed full rein it is as domed as the crown of a hat, but I've been trying to tame it into a slightly flatter profile!


I think it is the result of the stitching round the flowers being too close together resulting in too much thread for the cloth to hold. I haven't blocked or pressed yet, but I don't think this is ever gong to lie flat. So, some thinking to be done about what use to make of it. Perhaps a cushion cover, or a box lid top with some extra padding to make a raised dome. That might at least look vaguely intentional! I am pleased with the colours though, and the stitching was fun. Chain stitch is such an easy one to do, but so effective depending on direction and the colours used. The dark leaves are Bokhara couching which, again, was an interesting one to work and merits future investigation.

Now on to the bluebird, which is on much thicker fabric so hopefully no distortion here. This is the design which was drawn freehand by the young man in my previous post.

I might have to spend a little while extracting my threads though!

4 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful! I love every stitch and every color. Sending a big WOW!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it has certainly been fun to do :-)

      Delete
  2. My goodness, what a bird's nest of glory to pick your thread out of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I like your punning talent!!! Yes, it is a bit of a tangle isn't it? Also rather thinner than that I was started off with, and I'm not entirely convinced by this Uzbek thread, it's splitty and twisty, it gets fuzzy very quickly, in fact some of it starts out fuzzy, and not my favourite thing to be stitching with. Will ponder while stitching the leaves and pomegranate

      Delete

Thank you for your comments, it's always a pleasure to know people have found my little corner of the webiverse. Don't forget to "prove you're not a robot"; so I can see your comment :-)